Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Phlebotomist

We went to the doctor yesterday, and I think it was an appointment just to see if we were still alive. The doctor popped in, said hi, reaffirmed that the Posette is indeed still pregnant, and then sent in a phlebotomist to draw some blood.*

*The blood screen will tell us if the LP potentially has any number of horrible diseases. But no bigeee, she will call us in a week if anything turns up. Otherwise, we are not to worry. Yeah, this seems like an effective plan. Now, all I can think about is whether the doctor is going to call. I've got an underdeveloped sense of worry, but I think this was just a test designed to push the limits of my underdevelopment.

The phlebotomist at our doctor's office is a bit too perky, especially for someone who is going to literally take the essence of life from my wife's body. She kicked off her routine by mocking anyone who is afraid of needles as a big baby, and an unfit parent. Suck it up, girl.

Then, she had this actual exchange with the Posette:

"You're not scared, are you?"
"No, this is hardly the worst thing that will happen to me."
"Yes, the worst thing that can happen to you is having children."
/awkwardsilence

She then resumed her attack on those big whiners who don't want to give blood.

All in all, a good doctor's appointment. We were given a dose of unreasonable worry that should last us a week, told that having children is the worst thing that will ever happen to us, and then I stole a lollipop.

Really happy I went to that appointment. When do we get to do fun stuff like find out the sex of the baby? Because coming in to watch the Posette become a pin cushion is not nearly as fun as you would think.

1 comment:

  1. In an effort to commiserate, I had a Dr. appointment yesterday too. Since David did not come, Elliott first took the container full of some liquid that was meant to put my pap smear in, and dumped it all over himself. Then freaked out and started crying when they were taking my blood. The nurse gave him some cotton swabs to play with, but after rubbing them all over the floor, put one in the pap smear container (post exam). Now they think I have all sorts of horrible diseases. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete