Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Heartbeat

There are some things in life you can't quite prepare for.  You think you know how it will be, how you will react, but really, you don't.

That's what it was like for me when I first heard my child's heartbeat on the monitor.

The world stopped for a second.  There was nothing but us and the sound of the baby's heart, beating away, furiously working towards a new life.  It is the sound of hard work, as our baby works, yearns, to be formed and then be born in this massive world.

"I am here.  Just wait for me, Daddy."

I will.  I'm waiting.  I can't wait to meet you, too.

The sound of that heartbeat is the sound of future promise.  It's the sound that this is actually real.  We're a family, even if not yet.  It is the sound of expectations and hope.  Anything can happen at this point -- the possibilities in the future are literally infinite.

I have no idea what happens next.  I can't look two days into the future much less two decades. But I do know that it started in that room where I heard my child for the first time.  And it was in this moment that I fell in love.

I promise, jokes next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment