Friday, August 26, 2011

Being the Lesser Half

I was forced to socialize last night at a reception without the benefit of my better half. Forced to develop my own charming personality, I did the only logical thing when forced into social chit-chat: I talked about the Posette.

Talking about my wife has two distinct advantages. First, no one has ever stormed out of a conversation in which someone says they love their wife. People will almost always politely listen when you say that your wife is pretty darn cool, and the chances are good they will even like you for it.

"No! I disagree! You do not love your wife...." is high on the list of unlikely things to hear in conversation.

Two, the Posette is really cool. Even without delving into her personality, she's a school teacher who is currently pregnant. I like to latch on to her inherent goodness and bask in the reflected glow.

Hey, if this fundamentally decent person likes to keep me around, perhaps I'm not a total jackass. It's about the only card in my deck, and I play it early.

Oh God, I'm going to be one of those parents, aren't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment