Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ginger Snaps and Poseur's Cooking

The Posette has been enjoying her first bouts of morning sickness. I will spare you the jokes about how it's not really morning sickness because it happens all the time. Anyway, she's been hanging out on the couch all weekend trying not to do anything too strenuous.

This means I got sent to the grocery store to go pick us up food for the week. I'm working on my hunting and gathering skills, which means I can't just walk into Albertson's and buy up all of their Doritos. She probably expects me to come home with food that can actually be consumed over the course of the week.

Now, this has all of the major problems you would think. I'm not totally incompetent in the kitchen, but that's about the only bar I clear. The Posette did most of our cooking, and she is quickly deciding that she doesn't really want to do that for the next nine months. Can't say I blame her.

I can make just about anything from a box, but past that, most of my cooking skills tap out. I've started to make some meals, but that only means the Posette is getting a steady diet of spaghetti and all of the Zatarain's mixes.* I'm not trying to pretend I'm Emeril here, I can ground beef and boil water -- one of the reasons I can make spaghetti as it requires both of these skills -- and not much else.

*The jambalaya mix is especially delicious once you properly doctor it.

So if you have any recipes for the barely competent person, y'know, me... I'd greatly appreciate it. Remember, I am an idiot and I work for a living. Don't send me a recipe for fois gras or anything like that. Because we'll starve to death if it requires more than three or four steps.

However, there is some upside to doing the shopping. I read up a bit on morning sickness, and one of the things that helps with nausea is ginger. Which means I had an excuse to go out and buy ginger snaps. This worked out great for me for several reasons:

1) It showed I've actually read something about pregnancy.
2) It also shows I've applied some of that knowledge. Without even being asked!
3) Hopefully, it works. Nausea sucks.
4) I get to eat ginger snaps.

Really, ginger snaps are one of the most delicious cookies on the planet.* Now I have an excuse to buy them, as we've been trying to keep cookies out of the house. Look, you buy cookies, I'll eat 'em. I've seen me do it.

*Well, most cookies are delicious. It's hard to break them down into little groups. Chocolate chip, of course, are the classics and probably the definitive cookie. I'm also partial to sugar cookies and snickerdoodles. Ginger snaps probably finish a solid fourth, ahead of such contenders as Oreos and butter cookies. Oh, and those iced animal cookies, those things are like crack.

Well, how I imagine crack. I've never actually had any crack, so perhaps this is a bad comparison. But I hear it's addictive and not very good for you, so it sounds like a good comp.

We'll see how this cooking and shopping thing goes. I'm sure I'll be okay, as I have long experience of cooking for myself. I'd worry about the Posette -- she has to eat the things I cook. But at least she gets some ginger snaps.

2 comments:

  1. I've got some really easy recipes if you want to try them. Holler at me when you get a minute and I'll pass them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawaiian SPAM Casserole (Now with vegetable)

    2 Cans SPAM (Your choice; SPAM with Bacon, Hot and Spicy SPAM, Hickory Smoked SPAM, SPAM Light...)
    2 x 20oz Cans Pineapple Tidbits (the original recipe calls for 2 16 oz cans, but I can't find 16oz, you can get four 8oz or eat some of the pineapple while you're cooking!)
    1# Broccoli (I use a frozen bag and let it thaw before I bake)
    1.5# Velveeta
    2 Sleeves crushed Ritz Crackers
    2 Sticks Butter
    ½ Cup Sugar
    1/3 Cup Flour

    Drain the Pineapple but keep the juice.
    Chop the SPAM and Velveeta and put with the broccoli and drained pineapple, mix it up.
    Put into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
    Mix the pineapple juice with the flour and sugar and pour over the ingredients in the pan.
    Sautee the crushed Ritz in the butter and cover the casserole, bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

    Serve, enjoy and help the world realize that SPAM isn't that bad... (Or keep it as the secret ingredient!)

    Or you can always go to http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com

    ReplyDelete